210 N. 7th St.
Lincoln, NE 68508
CATEGORIES: Learn | Historic Haymarket Tour
1915; Jesse B. Miller, architect
Built in 1915, the same year as the Bennett Hotel to the south, this building was originally divided into a shop in the north half and a cafe to the south called "Pusateri & Spaulding's Restaurant." The architect of the small building was Jesse B. Miller, designer of numerous downtown commercial buildings, as well as a large Haymarket warehouse, the lower floors of the Hardy Building at 335 North 8th Street.
From the mid-1940s until the '70s, a taxicab garage operated in this building and the north addition of 1949, resulting in substantial changes to the interior and storefronts. The damaged building's rehabilitation and return to retail uses in 1986 demonstrated both vision and commercial courage of owners Lou and Gale Shields. Dale Gibbs was architect for the initial renovation as an antique mall. That business relocated to Lincoln Station when Lazlo’s Brewery & Grill grew into this space, designed by Erickson Sullivan Architects.